I meant xls files in MS EXCEL 2003 when I wrote about the short times needed to open them. I protected them against opening.

I never tested a LO file so far - hope I never have to!!!
Here are some links I checked, however I don't recall what was the result for each link. Most of the links I deleted. I just searched for "password remove excel"

http://www.password-changer.com/
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows.htm
http://www.unprotect-excel.com/
http://www.passwordlastic.com/excel-password-recovery-lastic