On 15/09/2012 at 20:49, Felmon Davis <davisf@union.edu> wrote:

I don't know about OP backup tools (did not read whole thread), but rsync
has  --ignore-times and --size-only command-line options which may come
handy in such situation.

wouldn't really help her. I was pointing out that it is not enough to
worry about the file's time-stamp; the directory's time-stamp is also
altered.

And these options of rsync are supposed to ignore files and directories whose
only change is timestamp. Or, in other words, they change rsync algorithm for
finding new files from "if size or timestamp is different, then file has changed"
to "if size is different, then file has changed".

If you have directory of size X, and then add file and remove it, then you
still have directory of size X. And since rsync compares only size, it will
think that directory has not been changed - and skip it.

At least theoretically, because I did not check it.
And, after all, I don't know if Enda even uses rsync for her backups, so my
point may be irrelevant.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski