On 08/14/2012 12:11 PM, James Knott wrote:
webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:

This article may be interesting to read by some of this lists users. It seems that MSO 2013 will read/write ODF 1.2 formats and their older OOXML formats will not be changed to Strict Open XML formats [so .docx will change format again]. Also Excel will be using OpenFormula, it claims. It will also be able to read/edit/save PDF files.

Not writing ODF 1.1 is a good thing, given how badly it was implemented in MS Office. Also, I understand that Strict Open XML means getting rid of the proprietary stuff that made it difficult for other office suites to implement.

Yes not saving to 1.1 will be good in the long run for people who wish to get businesses to use ODF instead of MSO's XML formats.

Still, the move to make their XML formats use Strict Open XML will make MSO 2013 not readable with MSO 2007 and 2010 package, or as least I have read before. Hopefully it does remove the "undocumented" proprietary "stuff" from within their XML formats so it would be easier to create the needed filters to read/write MSO 2013's XML files. We still need to keep 2010 and 2007 XML file filters updated for those users.

OpenFormula may make it easier to use Excel '13 files with Calc. Calc does support OpenFormula, right?

Actually I did not know that MSO 2010 saved files as PDF, but the article states that 2007 and 2010 both do. Still I would keep a PDF print driver to be able to create PDFs from the non-office documents [neither MSO or LO documents]. CUPS-PDF for Linux [on Ubuntu for me] and the free "doPDF" software-printer for Windows [on XP and Vista for me] work fine for that.