At 15:09 24/07/2012 -0700, Kuuga Noname wrote:
I found a really weird problem today when I was rearranging the sheets, to make them easier to read and find important information quickly. I moved the equipment tables with your formula to the first sheet and no matter what, the formula only works if the tables begin in column A. I then moved the original table and the same thing happened there. Why is this? I tried to move the weapon table to the same column and re-make the weapons array but that didn't do the trick either.

Nothing weird about it! The third parameter of the VLOOKUP() function indicates the column number in the table from which data will be harvested. Note that this is the column number *within the table*, not the number of the spreadsheet column - so it shouldn't matter if you move the source table about.

In your original arrangement, the values you needed to appear in column C were to be harvested from the second column of the source table, those for D from the third, and so on. The formula COLUMN()-1 does this: it represents the number one fewer than the (spreadsheet) column number of the destination column. If you move the destination table horizontally, you will just have to modify that formula - to COLUMN()-2 or whatever.

Brian Barker