Dan wrote:
      Let me see: open Calc in LO 3.6.0.2 and format a column selecting
the Category as Date and the Language as English(UK). It does not seem
to matter what is selected as the Format. (I selected 31/12/99.) Enter
20-7 in a cell. It becomes 20/7/12. When 20/7 is entered in a cell of
the column, 20/7/12 is the result.
      It is a matter of formatting the column, cell, or row for the type
of data to be placed in the sheet. With the correct format
[English(USA)], I can enter 20-7 in a cell, and it will become Saturday,
July 20,2012 or Saturday, 20 July 2012 depending upon what format I use.
(The last one would require selecting User-defined Category and the
appropriate entries in the Format code box.)
      Ah yes, the "weird" USA way. While I had the Format dialog open
with UK as the Language, I noticed something in the list of Format
examples: MM-DD! If it should be DD/MM/YY, then why should it also be
MM/DD? OK so the USA way is weird, but then so is the British. Check it
out.  Chuckle, Chuckle! (From where this is located in the Format
example list, I think I know why it is this way. (ISO 8601) But I could
not resist replying to Tom's comment.

--Dan

Sorry folks, but this is too good to be kept a "secret." Source: Wikipedia, article: Calendar Date. Here is a quote from it:

"This sequence is used primarily in the United States, partially in Canada, and a few other countries[citation needed]. This date format was commonly used alongside the small endian form in the United Kingdom until the early 20th Century, and can be found in both defunct and modern print media such as the London Gazette and The Times, respectively. In the UK, it would be verbally expressed as Sunday, November the 9th, whereas in the United States, it is usually Sunday, November 9th, although usage of "the" isn't uncommon."

So now we know where the USA got its weird format for dates: from the UK! Particularly from London England.
     Oh happy day! Big Smile!

--Dan

Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I thought the USA way was the amazingly weird
mm/dd/yy

Apparently it's important to use / instead of - in order to make sure
it's easier to mis-read.  With some people's handwriting an 11 might
look like 1/ or vice-versa.
Regards from
Tom :)