On 7/21/2012 10:47 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 20.07.2012 23:50, Andrew Brager wrote:
Nevermind, I figured it out.

In case anyone else has a similar desire and wants to know...  I simply
select all the rows I want to belong to a group, add a border around it
all, and insert a row above the box I just made. The inserted box
contains the label I want; I make sure to turn off word wrapping for
that one cell.

The component is named "Calc" because it is a calculator in the first place. It is not a table editor nor database although many people use it that way.
Base reports can turn raw, unsorted table data into grouped reports.

Thanks for your input. As you say.... "many people use it that way". Since my intent is to have assistants work with it, I'm stuck with what the vast majority of average people know. They know Excel (the MS equivalent as you know). Sadly, they do NOT know Base or any other database application. To learn it would require they be trained and that probably means hiring a computer scientist instead of an assistant, which makes the cost prohibitive. Either that or I design a bunch of forms and predetermined sql statements or hire someone else to do so just so I can hire a secretary. Seems to me that's the long way around when all I need is to group the rows, set a border and add a label. Sure, a database would be the best solution, but it boils down to expediency, convenience and cost so Calc wins out on all 3.