Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2012 Archives by date, by thread · List index

On 07/15/2012 11:07 PM, Stephen Leibowitz wrote:
I am trying to convert an Excel 2003 VBA macro to LibO. I have fixed
the few syntax problems. The heart of the conversion effort will be in
dealing with the two very different APIs. My preference is to Open the
Excel xla file in Calc and have it run until the first runtime error,
which I would then fix. I would repeat the cycle of “run and fix” for
the other errors. When I encounter an error, I would also search for
and fix similar errors, in order to speed up the conversion effort.

My problem is that the Basic processor often does not provide the
error information that I need. The first error message says, “BASIC
runtime error. '420' Invalid object reference.” The end of the
module’s code is displayed, but there is no code highlighted or arrow
pointing to a particular line. I have no idea which object the Basic
processor is complaining about. Pressing the Stop Macro button has no
effect. When I press the OK or X button on the message, the macro
continues to the next error. That error is, “BASIC runtime error. '12'
xlApplication Event.” But even without me dismissing the message, the
processor continues to the next error after a few seconds

I have placed many breakpoints in the code, but this does not seem to
help me in isolating the errors.

This occurs at runtime, yes?

As odd as this may sound, I have occasionally needed to comment out sections of code to find problems. If the error is as elusive as you say, you may need to find a break-point before the error and then single step to the error.

In the past, I have had trouble when I try to access a property or method that does not exist for the returned object. I remember at one point where the error was triggered when execution entered the sub or function that contained the reference, which was a real problem for me because I tried to test for the existence of the property or method before calling it. This was a very old version of OOo (probably 1.x), but the memory stays.

are you perchance using any type of error control in your code? I mean "On Error" statements?

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:

For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.