Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 12.07.2012 20:35, AG wrote:

I did download and install the desktop integration packages for Debian
from the ODF site, and there's nothing in synaptic.

Perhaps the quickstart has been deprecated in the 3.4.* and 3.5.5
releases?

AG

There is no quick-start application. When this anti-feature is enabled
the normal soffice starts in a different way.
Do yourself a favour and abstain from any quick-starter. It is a true
trouble maker when you install/update/remove extensions, when you update
Java or the whole suite. Simply add your prefered starter buttons to
your desktop environment.
Starting the pure application with its welcome screen takes one single
click more. How many clicks could have been performed instead of piling
up comments in this thread?

Some information from the past. Using the executable files listed here, various parts of LO can be opened.(I've included the path to them since I have not made the program folder part of PATH.)
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/swriter
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/scalc
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/simpress
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/sdraw
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/sbase
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/smath
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice .uno:NewDoc
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice .uno:Open

     soffice .uno:NewDoc opens the Templates and Documents dialog.
soffice .uno:Open opens the Open dialog. From here you can browse to wherever your document is located.

Since all of these files are executable, they can be made into applications with each of the lines above can be used as the command line entry. Gnome allows me to add a list of applications to the panel. One of items on the list is Application Launcher. Using this, one of the folders within the Menu can be added to the panel. I can even create a new submenu within the Office menu.

--Dan