Rahn Land schrieb:
I think I want to number headings by manipulating styles, but I am not sure.
I don't understand the distinctions between the three.

I want an outline system that uses styles, so that I can easily change or
modify the format of multiple headings at once.  I want it automatic in the
sense that if I create a new heading, the other headings are automatically
re-numbered (or lettered).

Does that help clarify?

Yes, that is clear now.

1. If you have assigned any kind of numbering already, then right click on the heading and choose item "Numbering&Bullets". If you see the button "Remove" enabled, click on it to remove the numbering. Those are list numberings and cannot be used together with outline numbering.

2. Assign the style "Heading 1" for chapters, "Heading 2" for Subchapters and "Heading 3" for sections to those headings. You will find these styles for quick access in the drop-down list in the toolbar. But you can use the style&formatting dialog as well, for example if you need deeper outlining.

3. Goto Tools > Outline numbering. On dialog page 'Numbering' on the left side click on a level. 1 is for chapters, 2 for subchapters and 3 for sections. Make sure that the field 'Paragraph style' has the according style. In the field 'Number' choose the type of number, which you will use for that level. Whether the value in the field 'sublevels' need to be maximal depends on the desired numbering style. Look at the preview. Use the fields in 'Seperator' to set the desired brackets and dots. You do net set the indentation in this dialog page.

4. Goto the dialog page 'Position'. Here again first select the level, then set the indentation and alignments for that level.

5. Right click a heading and choose 'Edit style' or open the Style&Formatting dialog, right click the style and choose 'Modify'. On both ways you get the dialog to set the appearance of the heading, including font, style and spacing. Another method to get the changes is, to style a heading directly, mark it and then use the button 'Update Style' from the Style&Formatting-dialog. It is hidden behind the small black triangle top right.

With this kind of outline numbering you get a lot of automatism, like TOC, tree in the navigator, automatic targets for cross-refernces.

Do not follow any advises to use list numbering for headings. It is not impossible but you need a lot of deeper knowledge to use it correctly.

Kind regards
Regina