Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 12.06.2012 21:08, Dan wrote:
To populate a list or combo box, I have been using single field tables.
Seems like it should be possible to use a single table for more than one
list or combo box. (The SQL statement for selecting a field for a list
or combo box is: SELECT "field name" FROM "table name".) Has anyone
tried this before? Any problems doing this?

--Dan

In a combo box you "always" want:
SELECT DISTINCT "Field" FROM "Table" ORDER BY "Field"

In a list box you "always" want:
SELECT "Field or Concatenation", "Primary Key"
FROM "Table"
ORDER BY "Field or Concatenation"
Bound field=1
Data field=The form's foreign key

[Example] Relations reflected by list boxes in forms
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=40444
OK, I see I was not explicit enough. The tables I use for list boxes always contain only ONE field using VCHAR as the field type. There are no repetitions in this field, so all values entered are DISTINCT.
     The benefits I get from this are:

1) If I enter a new value in the field, close the table, and open it again; the entries have rearranged themselves alphabetically.

2) The entries always appear in alphabetically order in the list box after clicking the refresh tool in the form.

3) Field A has been replaced with a list box (i.e., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) in a form. (The table for this contains one field whose values are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.) When field A appears in a report, the only values showing are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If I were to use a table having two fields: ID, Day (i.e., 1,2,3 for ID & Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for Day); the form has shown the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday values while the reports show 1, 2, 3. Obviously, more has to be included in the SQL than what I wrote in the beginning. But with the limiting structure of my tables for list boxes do not require anything more.

--Dan