On 06/07/2012 09:17 AM, Ryno Labuschagne wrote:
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem on my machine, I downloaded the latest and
installed it, now I dont get any spell checking.
Even if I use F7 then it only comes back with an empty spell checker even
though I know I have done some crazy spelling.

How can I solve this?

Regards
Ryno

What OS are you using?  That may help figure out the problems.

I run Ubuntu 64-bit 10.04LTS.
For me, it seems that with 3.5.4, I had to make sure my spelling, dictionary, and other language options, were "turned on" to be used. Some were turned off when I went from 3.4.6 to 3.5.4.

Look at:
Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids
Make sure the proper language options are checked for spell checking, user-defined dictionary, and such.

Also try installing this extension [I assume you want English] - as a test of your system.

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/kpp-american-english-dictionary-638k-word-list.oxt

Then go back to the Writing Aids and make sure the en-US is checked in the user defined dictionary section.

If you then have an English spell checking ability, then there is something wrong with the installed English dictionary. If it does not work, after the "user defined dictionary" has been checked, then there is something wrong with your installation of LO.

There was an issue with the default English dictionary system, which I do not know if it was completely solved for those who system had that issue. So they downloaded an extension for the dictionary they wanted and that helped for some of them.

NOTE: On my dictionary list, I have American, British, and Canadian English spelling dictionaries which also include a large Thesaurus, plus a Hyphenation system.