  Search and replace within a selected column produces incomplete and
inconsistent results. I need to learn how to do this correctly.

  Running -3.5.3_linux_x86.

  I mark a column by clicking on the column header cell and all rows in that
column are highlighted. Ctrl-H (or the menu equivalent) brings up the dialog
box. I enter 0.000 in the find widget and, for example, -0.005 in the
replace widget. The result of clicking the 'Replace All' button is a message
box telling me 'Search key not found.'

  This did work the first two times I tried it, but incompletely. Now it
won't work at all. I can scroll down the sheet and see entries with 0.000
but the function isn't working.

  Please clue me in how to successfully and completely run a find and
replace function. In all cases I'm now looking to replace all instances of
zero, but the replacement value varies by column. For another data set I
need to replace '<' with '-' so it's important that I can make these
changes.

TIA,

Rich