On 24/05/12 15:50, Marc Paré wrote:
I was taught at the very last year at my university where "punch cards"
were still being used, and I used to chat on beasts that spewed paper
instead of drawing on monitors, way back in 1976. I studied FORTRAN in
1980 so that I could be with the up-and-coming in-crowd on campus

Ah, memories... Standing in line because the reader did nor detect the pencil marks properly. My first program - write a program that calculated the distance between two points on earth using their latitude and longitude.

In the same year, I was introduced to a PC1 {http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/Ibm_pc_5150.jpg/250px-Ibm_pc_5150.jpg} with Ashton Tate's dbase II on it! Green letters on a nearly black screen. I still have a pang of nostalgia when hearing the whir of the hard drive as it takes 1-2 minutes to boot up. The start of the serverless revolution!

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

   Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides