Hi Dennis,

Dennis E. Hamilton schrieb:
@James,

I see.  It happens that Windows XP will not let you assign a
different program of the same name to be associated with the same
file extension via Open With ... .

I have both LibreOffice Writer and OpenOffice Writer in the Open With... list. Why do you think, that it is not possible?

You can do even more. WinXP gives you an UI to add an item to the context menu. So you can add a 'Open with AOO' and 'Open with LO'. Click on "Extras" > "Folder Options" in the menu bar of the Windows Explorer. Click on tab "File types". Goto odt (for example) in the file list and click on it. Now in the lower part some buttons are enabled. Click on "Extended". That's the lowest one.

You get a dialog page to create and alter context menu items. Click on "New". In the upper field type the text do you want to see in the context menu. In the lower field type the path to the application, for example to swriter.exe from LO (or search with the button). Quote the path inclusive filename, because it likely has spaces. After the path enter the parameter -o "%1". Click OK. The parameter -o stand for "open", but you can use the other parameters mentioned in the help as well.

I have a German WinXP and therefore my translations might not give the exact terms you see in your English XP, but I hope you find the places.

Kind regards
Regina