At 19:27 13/05/2012 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Note that those [the freeware Microsoft viewers for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint document files] will not open .docx files: ...

Natively, this is true, but read on ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090 "Please note that there was not a Word Viewer created for Word Viewer 2007 or Word Viewer 2010. To view Word 2007 and 2010 documents, please download the following link and install the Office Compatibility Pack noted below"

I like the typos on the MS site! The "following link" links to an Office Compatibility Pack for older versions of MS Office, so those with no MS Office installed cannot view Word 2007/2010 files.

I think you miss the point here: the instruction is both to download (the viewer) and install the Compatibility Pack.

The Compatibility Pack is indeed intended for systems with Microsoft Office XP (2002) or 2003 and it enables those versions of Office, as modified, to open, edit, and save documents in the new "x" formats. But it is equally applicable to the freeware viewers (which are effectively cut-down versions of components of Office 2003) and enables the viewers, as similarly modified, to open, display, and print documents in the newer formats too.

Brian Barker