Hi :)
Yes, they are separate programs but there is an overlap in the communities so it's almost 1 big
community producing 2 products aimed at slightly different niches and co-operatively competing with
each other.  I think it's still true that most of the people that only work on LibreOffice (not OOo
too)  used to work on OpenOffice (or worked on Go-oo which used to call itself OpenOffice quite a
lot of the time).

OpenOffice.org is now often called Apache OpenOffice or AOO or AOOo for short.  In a way
LibreOffice is just an advanced version of OpenOffice

So, when someone compliments OpenOffice you might as well just accept the compliment. :)  Good work
all :)
Regards from
Tom :)