The spell checker in LibreOffice 3.5.2 seems to spontaneously break. This
happened to me on previous versions, too. I have spent too much time going
through various channels to try to solve the problem; lots of workarounds --
installing other dictionaries, for example -- can be found. These
workarounds don't, of course, solve the problem. I'm using US English, and
I'm in Canada. Before I waste somebody's time by submitting a bug report, I
thought I'd try here for input.

It seems that one day I will happily be using writer with the spell check
running 100%. Then, next day, the spell checker doesn't seem to work
anymore. Poof. I've got XP SP3. It seems as though the English dictionary
extension somehow breaks despite my doing nothing in regard to configuring
the software beyond default. I had entertained that running OS updates might
be breaking the software, so I tried the following, though I couldn't
replicate the issue. I know, this may seem like a lot to post for a negative
result, but I feel it might be useful to know what DOESN'T seem to cause the
problem.

- Reverted to 120401 OS backup image made via True Image; LibreOffice 3.5.1
was installed; spell check didn't work. Most recent round of XP updates had
not been applied.
- Uninstalled Libreoffice 3.5.1
- Deleted LibreOffice folder in Program Files
- Deleted LibreOffice folder in C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application Data
- Deleted LibreOffice shortcuts in Start menu
- Ran CCleaner
- Rebooted
- Installed LibreOffice 3.5.2 and helppack.
- Rebooted.
- Ran LibreOffice Writer. Touched nothing, just started typing gobbledegook.
US English spell check was active and lots of little red squiggly error
underlines indicated the spell check was working.
- Went to tools, options, language settings, languages, and under "Default
Languages for Documents" there was a nice fat check mark with "ABC" written
over top of it beside the "Default - English (USA)" setting. Several other
languages present here also had that thick check mark.
- User interface setting was "Default - English (USA)", Locale setting was
"Default - English (USA)". I took a snapshot of the window:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3919812/picture_00.png

- When I went to the extension manager, scrolled down to English Spelling
Dictionaries and left-clicked to highlight it, I saw that an "Options"
button appeared:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3919812/picture_01.png

Clicking it opened yet another window which said English Sentence Checking:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3919812/picture_02.png

- Ran CCleaner 3.17.1689, ran the cleaner function, ran the registry "Scan
for Issues" function, fixed all issues, and rebooted.
- Started writer again, discovered the state of the program was unchanged
from the above description. Everything worked fine. The last CCleaner
execution clearly did not adversely effect LO.
- Proceeded to run the windows updates one by one.
        - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
(KB2675157). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran CCleaner. Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Security Update for Windows XP (KB2653956). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran
CCleaner. Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2012 (KB890830).
Rebooted. LO OK. Ran CCleaner. Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista,
Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran CCleaner.
Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server
2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran CCleaner.
Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP,
Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2656370). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran
CCleaner. Rebooted. LO OK.
        - Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138
(Definition 1.123.1780.0). Rebooted. LO OK. Ran CCleaner. Rebooted. LO OK.

So clearly LO is not broken by any of these. So what breaks the spell
checker? When broken, things look like:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3919812/picture_03.png

and

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3919812/picture_04.png

Note the absence of the big fat check mark with "ABC" on it...

I wish dearly that this problem would be solved as I do so love LO, but this
is driving me crazy. Any help to try to sleuth the problem out would be
deeply appreciated. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks for your time,

Christian