On 04/11/2012 08:30 AM, dcannell wrote:

My other issue is that with the OpenOffice that came native with my
Ubuntu 10.04 I can't download LibreOffice for testing without blowing my
OpenOffice away.  That doesn't seem like a very friendly way of doing
business because what if I truly don't like LibreOffice once I get it
loaded?  Not saying that I won't but I've been in the computer business
since 1964 and know that not is all as it seems  8-)

That is not an issue at all. Forget all the other "advise" telling you
to uninstall OpenOffice before installing LibreOffice (LO). When you
install LO, it installs in the /opt directory and doesn't touch your
installed OOo application.

Download both the tar.tz files for Debian -
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect:
clink on Linux (deb): and your architecture (x86 for 32bit or x86_64 for
64bit). That will link you to (32 bit in this example):
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=deb-x86
Select your language (English (US)?):
That gets you to:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=deb-x86&lang=en-US
Click on the 3.4.6 (you can install 3.5 later if you wish and even run
3.4 + 3.5 + OOo 3.2 in parallel at the same time) and download both the
Main installer and the Help file. Those will download as:

LibO_3.4.6_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz

and

LibO_3.4.6_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US.tar.gz

Open Nautilus and right click on the tar.gz and select 'Extract here'
for both files. That will create two directories:
LibO_3.4.6rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US
and
LibO_3.4.6rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US

Open a terminal and cd to
LibO_3.4.6rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS. Install:

/LibO_3.4.6rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

That will install LO into the /opt directory as /opt/libreoffice3.4.
Now do the same for the help file:
/LibO_3.4.6rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-US/DEBS$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Now create a menu by installing the desktop integration deb:
/LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration$
dpkg -i *.deb

I don't currently have a 10.04 installed, so if that gives you errors
don't try to install the again, and instead create your own menu.

On the top panel right-click 'Applications' and select 'Edit Menus'. Go
to 'Office' and click on 'New Item'. Fill in as:
Name: LibreOffice 3.4
Command: /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice
Comment: whatever you'd like

To run: Applications|Office|LibreOffice 3.4

Sorry, can't help you with any of the rest.