On 11/04/12 21:22, Pertti Rönnberg wrote:
May I ask for advice,
I have an old spare laptop (HP/Compaq NX9005) and thought of installing
a Linux, e.g. Ubuntu on it.
 >> are there other Linux-distributions than Ubuntu to be considered as
best for private/home use?
 >> if Ubuntu, what version do you recommend to start with?
 >> can I install Ubuntu without a LibO -- and install LibO separately ?
Or OpenO?
 >> what LibO version is today best in the Linux/Ubuntu world?

Thanks in advance
Pertti Rönnberg

Pertti,

As already mentioned Ubuntu has two light versions - xubuntu and lubuntu.

They differ from their name sake primarily by the windows manager they use and the collection of file managers, editors, etc they promote. They only really 'retain' their low overhead IF you use all the packages they promote. As a word processor, I think both use AbiWord.

At the moment I am using xubuntu. Well actually xfce file manager over the top of 11.10 ubuntu -- primarily to regain a typical menu driven desktop rather than Unity, which is really nice and glitzy but atrocious as a business interface.

If you intent is to use libreoffice then your main concern will be how well it integrates with the file and windows manager for whatever linux version you choose. Personally I would download the ISOs for the few distros mentioned and *install them*. They are free except for the download costs. If you download the DEB files for libreoffice you will also be able to install it over and over without re-downloading it.

Why install rather than use the Live CD? Personally I find this is the only real way of evaluating a distro with a particular hardware configuration. For example, Ubuntu 11.10 sucks at recognizing my twin-head screens. xfce just worked right out of the box. Go figure.

I suggest you clear your hard drive of all data and set aside an evening. Load xubuntu from scratch then install libreoffice. Throw on one of you most complex documents and spreadsheets and have a play. If the machine is sluggish try lubuntu or any other low-memory dependent distro. Once you have chosen a distro then customize it and work through the inevitable issues that appear when setting up a new operating system.

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

   Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides