Hi :)
You are welcome.  I think i would move in 3 directions at roughly the same time.  Hmmm, well maybe
i wouldn't go for the 3rd option as my coding is probably fairly lousy
1.  Keep using the one that does work, ie Apple Keynote but still use Writer and Calc etc, just not
Impress except for just playing around
2.  Test the idea about shrinking some of the images (byte-wise not in physical size) using Gimp
(which is free and OpenSource
3.  Join the Devs Team for a little while and maybe try working on an Easy Hack or 2 and see if i
could build-up to working on Impress to improve it.  Even if you don't get that far it might
free-up some time for other devs to look into Impress more.
4.  Get a couple of mates to join in with the coding idea as a race to see who gets the furthest
fastest, perhaps make it part of Google's Summer of Code or a college project or something.

Regards from
Tom :)