Eric,

On 04/11/2012 10:19 AM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
this problem just bit me in my job hunt. Apparently for the past two or three months, I've been sending out resumes and cover letters in Microsoft Word DOC format and they were garbled sometimes simply margin errors sometimes completely unreadable. Usually, I started with the standard odt format and converted to doc. occasionally I would do couple revisions in the .doc form and then convert back to ODF for my baseline. I was using revisions 3.5.0 and 3.5.1

this really hurts because there were a lot of really good jobs that I qualified for but didn't get any responses to. I'm not saying that the document conversion problem was the sole cause but it didn't help my application any. :-)

what I need help with is determining if conversion is going to be an ongoing problem in which point, I migrate to Jarta or equivalent. If it's not an ongoing problem, was it a procedural one. That I did something wrong in the handling of documents that caused it to become corrupt? For example, should I always start with the odt format and convert out words to PDF and DOC? And last, is detection of a failed conversion? Would it make sense for me to use jarta to verify document conversion.

if it is a procedural error and I need to start from odt as the primary source, is there any way to automate the production of alternative formats? For example, if I'm saving a file, can I also do document conversion at the same time and save both PDF and DOC format files.

Thank you for any help in resolving this problem.

--- eric

PS no, PDF is not always a solution. Many agencies and companies here in the states only accept doc/docx format documents

I usually save to MSO formats last. Can you use RTF format instead of doc/docx. Word opens RTF and it is not a format that does not contain macros.

If you can post a typical document either online with a link or via Nabble we can see what is happening.

Usually I see the problem with MOS (mostly docx) to LO not the other way.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com