Rogier van Vlissingen wrote

Well, I'm on Win7, I renamed the registrymodifications.xcu file to
something else, and then I restarted the computer, opened LO writer, and
started a document, made one change, saved the document, closed the
document, and looked in 'recent documents' - but it still shows 'no
documents'

It seems to me that there must be something else going on.

Get Bleachbit (even the Portable version should work)
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
Scroll down to LibreOffice, check the History box, run Preview (just to make
sure there are no errors) and then Clean.

I tested this on my Windows XP Pro machine running LO 3.5.1.2 and although I
didn't have your problem, it did clean the History and all other settings
seem to be untouched.

If this fails you can always use the brute force approach...

Go to  "%APPDATA%\LibreOffice\3\user" then go up one level and rename the
folder user to user.old (or something else)

Please report your findings ;)