Hi Edwin,

This method has worked very reliably for me over the last three years with both OpenOffice, and now LibreOffice. I prefer the versions directly from LibreOffice. When I do a system upgrade, like I will be doing for 12.04, I always replace the Ubuntu version with the version from LibreOffice. Download from:
http://www.libreoffice.org/
By default it always shows me the RPM version instead of the DEB version on the download page. Make sure you get the DEB version. I've never bothered with the help files. Once both the program and the menus are installed you can easily add the icons back to the launcher by clicking on the Dash button and typing in Libre, and then dragging the icons you want to the launcher bar. Below are the instructions for both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions:

*32 Bit Version:*
1. Download LibO_3.5.1_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz to the desktop, or copy it to the desktop. Right click on it and extract it to the desktop. This will give you the folder LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US .
2. In the terminal, run the following commands:
sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*.*
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.deb
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.5-debian-menus_3.5-102_all.deb

*64 Bit Version:*
1. Download LibO_3.5.1_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz to the desktop, or copy it to the desktop. Right click on it and extract it to the desktop. This will give you the folder LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US
2. In the terminal, run the following commands:
sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*.*
sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.deb sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/LibO_3.5.1rc2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.5-debian-menus_3.5-102_all.deb

Don