Hi Ian,

Hi All

I hope someone can assist me please.......

While entering new data into my Database two days ago the system "crashed" with a "Module not
responding" error.

After restarting it now will no longer open my DB. Whichever way I go, (Open the db file or start
Base and try to conect), I get a box that says "Filter Selection" and presents me with a list of
20 or 30 options - none of which are anything to do with LibreOPffice Base!!

What "filter" must I selct or what must I do to get my Database going again??

I'm using LO 3.5.0 rc3 (the latest) on PClinuxOS 2011.09

Thanks a lot guys!!

Your post shows up as a follow-on in another thread and not as a new
subject, so I am posting this anew, in the hope that others will follow
and the original thread not be hijacked by a different subject.

1) Do you have a backup copy of your ODB file ? Why ? Because it would
appear that the crash has corrupted the file you were working on and LO
can no longer open it.

2) Failing the availability of a backup, it might just be possible to
recover some of the data in the file :

(a) make sure the file is not loaded in LO/OOo, in fact better yet, make
sure that those applications are not running, because when ODB files are
loaded into memory, they stay there for a while within the soffice
process, even if you have closed the file.

(b) rename the extension of your file to *.zip. Then open the zip file
with an unzipper/archive manager (Winzip, 7zip, ark, FileRoller, etc).

(c) you should be presented with a list of files inside the zip file.
With a bit of luck you will find your data, in there, along with any
queries, references to forms, reports, and macros if any, the script
file that can be used to reconstruct the structure of the database.

(d) if the archive manager refuses to open the zip file, then you have a
corrupted zip container, and to start with, the only thing to try is to
repair the zip file with the appropriate command that comes with the
archive manager (if available). If the repair succeeds, then you can try
and recover the files inside according to step (c).

(e) if you can see the files in the zip container, then there is a
chance that you might be able to recover your data, db structure and
associated items.

(f) it might be worthwhile running the xcu and xml files that you find
through a XML validator, these files sometimes get damaged on incomplete
write operations and then prevent the ODB file from being opened properly.

(g) it may or may not be possible to simply copy these files to a newly
created ODB file, that you have closed (quiting LO at the same time),
renaming the extension to zip, and then substituting the files in that
zip via the archive manager with those from your damaged ODB. Save the
changes to the new archive, and then rename the extension to ODB.

Some archive managers allow you to open ODB files directly, without
having to rename the extension first.

Your mileage may vary - i.e. take it as it comes.

Alex