Am 07.03.2012 00:35, fork wrote:

I can provide any more info if anyone would like.

A couple of lines of actual data copied from a text editor tell more than thousand words.

P.S. -- I don't really want to get good at macro writing, so I am hoping for the
very quickest quick hack, rather than the 500 page introduction to LO Basic.  No
judgements implied, just expediency.
So you need someone who does the entire work for you which is impossible without seeing any data.

I use to suggest a configured solution rather than a programmed one.
Collect all your similar csv in one dedicated directory. The similar files should share the same file name suffix, delimiters and encoding. Now you can read this directory of text files as if it were a collection of database tables. Database tables can be used seamlessly in Writer and Calc.
File>New>Database...
[X] Connect to existing database of type "Text"
[X] Register the new database
Save the new database which is just a configuration file
Close the new database and forget about the database for now.

In Calc:
1) Create a new file.
2) Hit F4 to get the data source window, select one of the tables _icons_ on the left and drag it into a cell. 3) Apply all the (conditional) cell styles, additional formulas, charts all the things why you want to use a calculator with text data. 4) menu:Data>Define... and pick the database "Import1" which represents the currently imported range of data, click "More Options" and check the 2nd and the 3rd option.
5) Save the file as a spreadsheet template.

Using the newly configured spreadsheet template:
1) File>New>Template...
2) Hit F4
3) Drag the table over the existing import range and confirm to replace the old data with the new data.

Alternatively, you can store a fixed document with an import range bound to one particular text file, say "CurrentData.csv". Check the additional 4th option for the import range so the data won't be stored with the document. Usage: Replace the file CurrentData.csv with a new version, open the document, confirm to refresh the unsaved import range.