Am 03.03.2012 20:00, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
- I want to be able to cut and paste lines from a web page into the
file, to make small updates. This is why I'm using Calc for editing. OO
lets me paste data and it gets treated as I want. Hopefully with your
suggestions for configuring LO, it'll do the same.

Collect the pasted HTML data on a sheet template if Calc handles the data the way you want. You can use a template sheet with the right locale and format settings in the right order of columns. Just paste the HTML as unformatted text which will preserve the formatting of the target cells rather than the HTML formatting of the source. Instead of saving the sheet as csv you may also paste the used cells into a text editor before saving which produces tab separated text with the numberic strings as displayed on the sheet. If some other software is supposed to read your data, English decimals with digits and one point only are the universally understood output formats for dcimal numbers, dates as ISO dates, percents as decimal fractions:

Raw ISO data like this ...
23123.98        2009-08-30 13:45:59     0.23

are more universal than localized format strings:
EUR 23'123,98   8 Aug 2009 1:45:59 pm   23,00%

Including thousands separators, currencies, units or localized dates is counter productive when the importing software is interested in plain numbers or date values. All databases import English numerals and ISO dates without problems.