Andreas, Dan, Drew - and others
Thank you very much for your help and giving me your time.
I really admire you for your enthusiasm to helping others.

Even if I did not directly get all the answers, you forced me to investigate - I have learned a lot! The situation regarding the function DATEDIFF('year', ...) in LibreO-Base/HSQLDB seems to be:

1. >> from SQL's point of view does LO-B&HSQLDB calculate the function quite correctly. It is not a matter of mathematics - nor are there any int() or roundings; it is a matter of (not so logical!) definition that you simply have to be aware of. DATEDIFF() does not calculate the difference between the given dates: it calculates the difference between the datepart values that it has extracted from the given datevalues using the selected datepart type (year, yy, mm, dd, etc). From two dates 2.11.1939 and 17.2.2012 DIFFDATE('year',..) calculates with the 'year' values 1939 and 2012. With datepart 'mm' it calculates first from each given datevalue the total amount of months, extracts them, and then calcs the difference; to get the result in years the function shall be divided by 12 (as Drew said). Alternatively do DATEDIFF('dd',...)/365. 2.>> in most other SQL db-generators 'yyyy' is a valid abbreviation for 'year' but obviously not in HSQLDB (v.2.2) and thus not in LibreO-Base either..

I think that this was not quite clear for all you neither.

I apologize for being a little irritated.
All the best
Pertti Rönnberg