Comment inline:

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 11:00 -0500, Ethan Swint wrote:

On 2/16/2012 5:34 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Have you had any luck in fixing the issue?  If not then it might be
good to post a new question to the Users List or perhaps just make a
comment in the old thread to "bump the thread".  I guess you have
already found documentation?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Writer_Guide
Regards from
Tom :)

Tom-

Thanks for the reply - I've read the documentation, but the options
described there just aren't cutting it for me. I was hoping that there
was a more advanced anchoring interface that wasn't visible by default.

For now, I'm still anchored to the page and have to move all of my
graphics when the edits change the placement of the text reference.
Pretty painful! It would be easier even if I could just get at the
underlying XML data, a la InkScape, to be able to make my changes in the
anchoring location.

-Ethan

     If you want to work with the xml, copy your document and rename it
replacing the .odt to .zip. (test.odt is renamed as text.zip.) The file
you want is the content.xml.

--Dan