Hi :)
I'm not sure but this might help

Tools - Options - "+Load/Save"

The various sub-pages in there have a few options that might help.

2.  Another way might be to right-click on 1 such document and find the "Chose program" or "Open
with.." option.  One of those should be clear about making it a 'permanent' default (except that
you can use the same method to change it back another day if you wanted).

3.  In Windows just open a file-browser so that you can see documents inside any folder.  In the
file-browser choose
Tools - Option - Folder Options - File types
errr, something like that in Xp anyway, then scroll down the list and choose which ones should be
opened in LibreOffice.
Regards from
Tom :)