Over the years I've searched unsuccessfully for a simple ODT viewer that
worked, and now have a need for commandline conversion of ODT to PDF. A
search of the Internet turned up mostly old utilities from SWX days, a
number of forum threads of various vintages (none of which offered a
solution) and a more recent Perl script – anytopdf – that doesn't work.
Being something of a Perl aficonado I've been working with this script. To
save space I've uploaded a page with details:

http://52midnight.com/home/ooo.html

I can well understand that LO developers may not be interested in supporting
its use as a backend for scripts, especially now that they've been
disenfranchized of OOo and are having to rebuild their presence as Libre
Office. However, this situation surely serves to encourage the development
of helper utilities for LO that OOo lacks.

For these reasons I'm raising the wider issue of helper utilities for Open
Documents. I'm Linux only and not interested in commercial offerings, and
whilst I'm no expert, searching both OOo and LO sites for PDF found nothing
useful. My impression is that numerous uncoordinated attempts by various
individuals have not survived the tests of time and usability. Open
Documents are now so ubiquitous that simple utilities for common tasks such
as format conversion are surely warranted, yet I've not been able to find a
PDF converter that works reliably. The number of forum posts suggest that
other have had similar difficulties. I'm a retired hardware engineer with
failing vision, so can do little more than offer ideas and encouragement,
but would be happy to discuss the above with anyone similarly interested.

52midnight