Try this one;
Download this British English [You did want British English correct?] dictionary that has a Thesaurus built into it. Then install it [with the Extension Manager]. Then see if you have a Thesaurus. IF you do, then you did not have a working one installed that LO can use.

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/kpp-british-english-dictionary-390K-word-list.oxt

The American version is what I use with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Actually this file comes from my work trying to make a set of good English dictionaries for LO.

If you decide it works for you, go to the Extension Center and decide which British English [American, or Canadian version as well] you would like to use.

http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/american-british-canadian-spelling-hyphen-thesaurus-dictionaries