On 01/27/2012 05:21 AM, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
Jay wrote:

Is this a screen resolution or a printing problem. Could you specify
which font(s) are troublesome?
Also, I forgot - what OS are you using?

GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 11.10).

Various fonts, including Plantin, but mostly my own (work in progress).
In all of them I have verified the character widths in Fontforge.

The fault appears on screen, and I must confess that I had not thought
of printing a test. In doing so now, however, I think I have discovered
where the problem lies. In what I use as normal editing mode (what Open
Office and Libre Office mysteriously call “web layout”) the problem
occurs; when I change to “print layout” it disappears. Likewise, when I
print a file the problem is not there.
Good catch, web and print layouts are different. Web layout assumes the primary/only viewing will be on screen not on paper. Thus the spacing is different to make it easier to read on screen, at least that is the theory.

Personally I have not found print layout to be difficult to read on screen with a large monitor.

Thanks to your question I now know where the problem lies, and indeed it
is not such a serious one if I know of a way around it, and can be sure
that texts will print properly.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com