I have been using LibreOffice since it became the default office suite
in Ubuntu and OpenOffice for years before that. I write fairly highly
formatted documents, like resumes, which are frequently saved for
co-editing in .doc formats.

Current version in use is  3.4.4 in Ubuntu 11.10

Until very recently, I could create a header in the following way

  * Go to Insert, Header and select Default

  * Go anywhere on the first page and select the page style First Page.
    This turned off the default header on the first page.

  * Complete the header on P2.

  * Save as  Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP etc.

This method no longer works.  The Default header style does not place a
header on the first page (that's OK with me). The header on P2 and
following appears fine but when I save and re-open the document it not
longer is visible.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I have attached a sanitized resume as an example