On 19/01/2012 at 10:58, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

A proper official forum such as most modern projects use (Firefox, Fedora,
Ubuntu, Mint and so on and on) would neatly avoid all sorts of recurring
problems.  But of course we have to stick with some ancient system that
makes the project look like something pre-Win95.  Even Arch has forums
ffs.

I think that Tom has a point here. Mailing lists were around for really long
time and they are pretty convenient for people who are used to them. But most
of computer/Internet users these days are not. They like simple web interface
of bulletin boards software (also called "forums"). They can't configure their
e-mail software (even most web interfaces provide needed features) to move all
traffic from specific source (mailing list) into separate folder. I think that
they are just overwhelmed by whole new experience with mailing list. And this
causes frustration...

I know there is that Nabble gateway, but it seems that there may be two
problems with it (I don't know if any is valid, since I don't use it):

1. registered people still get mails from mailing list, although they prefer
to check for new messages themselves on webpage.

2. It is too hidden. On page <http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-
lists/> classic mailing lists are exposed, while Nabble gateway is only
mentioned. Perhaps this page should focus on Nabble gateway, while classic
mailing lists addresses should be only mentioned (maybe moved to another
page?). People who would like to use mailing lists would find info they need,
while inexperienced users would not be bothered by whole mailing lists stuff,
about which they neither know nor care.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski