Hi :)
The license is free in cost but you may want to read-up on the licence.  I think this is the
crucial link you are probably interested in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#RequiredToClaimCopyright

Also these links are interesting
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyDoesTheGPLPermitUsersToPublishTheirModifiedVersions

I got those from the FAQ provided by the Free Software Foundation
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
Interesting side-note from Richard Stallman
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

The actual license is here if you like legalese
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

There has been a recent thread which might help?
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Names-of-output-filters-Name-of-HTML-output-filter-td3639830.html
Fernand Vanrie's first answer?

To get more info about the API's you might have more luck on the devs lists or whatever they use.
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do but it might be better to join their team and do
the work as part of their team in order to get your code some quality assurance testing on hundreds
of thoiusands of real-world machines world-wide by real users rather than just being tested on
whatever you can lay your hands on.  Of course that would mean your code would be released under
the LGPL.
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)