Hi :)
Excel is a spreadsheet program and the equivalent in LibreOFfice is Calc.  It might well be better
to use a database program to read many types of spreadsheets but possibly what you are looking for
is Calc.

See documentation at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice

Usually you can just double-click on a .xls or .xlsX to open it in Calc.  If that doesn't work yet
then try right-click on the file and choose LibreOffice or Calc from the "Open with..." option.
The first time you use Calc it might be that you have to just open LibreOffice and then drag&drop
the file onto the main-menu / splash-screen.  From then on LibreOffice or Calc should appear in the
right-click menu on that machine.

It is also possible to right-click and choose "Properties" to change the default program used for
opening such files.  Once that is done then just double-clicking the file will open it in the right
app.  You could always change that again later.

It really depends on what Operating System you are using and what options you chose during the
LibreOffice install.  The above all assumes Windows or Gnu&Linux but wouldn't work quite the same
on Mac.  There is an equivalent.  Most Gnu&Linux distros such as Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Mageia,
RedHat etc will let you just double-click to open the spreadsheets in Calc.

Probably you know all this sort of thing already but a surprising number of people don't.
Regards from
Tom :)