On 16/12/2011 at 18:44, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
To be honest i don't know.  People keep telling me i need to read-up about
styles because they are much more powerful.  All i notice is that in Word
styles keep changing almost at whim in most people's documents flicking
from one language to another  whereas Writer seems to stick with something
sensible.  ie swtiching to Writer means it's no longer a problem so i
don't worry about it even if that means i miss a lot of the powerful
stuff.  Regards from
Tom :)

I think you should stop believe to what people are saying ;) .

Writer and Word styles are really close to each other. Numbering lists are
different; I think that Word approach is harder to learn but more flexible. But
on the other hand, Writer has almost anything (considering lists) that anyone
could ever want. Word has also table styles, whereas Writer do not. Writer has
only Table autoformatting, but it is more workaround than solution. But on the
other hand, Word table styles often does not do what user would expect it to
do.

On the other hand, Writer has frame and page styles, whereas Word does not.
Working with sections (in Word) is quite easy, but creating long documents
involve a lot of work without section styles.

Considering styles, each program has some advantages over another. Neither of
them is "best". Both are powerful enough, I think. Unless someone comes with
strong argument that says otherwise. I admit that I might have missed some of
Word advantages.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski