On 11/25/2011 09:59 AM, Pedro wrote:
Andy Hatchett wrote
I'm a genealogist and an error log from my program tells me there is an
error in line 33801 of a GEDCOM that I recently imported.

The problem is that the GEDCOM doesn't have line numbers as it is a text
document. I've put it into Libre and turned on line numbering but see no
way to go directly to a specific line number. The only way I see to get to
a line number is to scroll thru the document.

You may want to use a program such as Gramps that handles GEDCOM files natively. I know Gramps allows exporting to different file formats. The csv format is compatible with LO as well as many other programs.

The error report is typical of database applications, noting there was a problem with the data is a specific row. In a database, you might be able to search on an id number that is the same as the line number - if the database has such an id number in each record.

I am not aware that it is possible to jump to a specific line in a
LibreOffice Write  (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
I believe you are correct, the FIND/REPLACE searches on the text supplied not a specific location.

I think that a GEDCOM file is a plain text file, so I would recommend
getting a plain text editor such as Notepad2-mod
(there are many others, this is my favorite) from
http://code.google.com/p/notepad2-mod/

Install it or simply get the zipped version, check the View, Line Numbers
option  (just to have a visual confirmation) and then press Ctrl+G or click
on Edit, Goto and type the line number.

Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com