Steve wrote:

When you paste from the docx, can you try "paste special", unformatted
text and gain success.

That’s what I normally do, and I’m sure I did it on this occasion.

Can you paste the text from docx into a file, save and view it with
ghexedit to identify the character.
You might be able to paste the character in here to find some info.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm?q=%C9%
AC&preview=entity

Thanks for the tip about ghexedit. I didn’t know about that. It seems
that the offending character is 000A, which is simply a line feed. I’ve
dealt with these before: in fact I have a routine that includes
converting them all to paragraph breaks beforehand (changing \n to \n in
the mysterious way of regular expressions). I’m not sure that I did it
with this one, though.

NoOp: Thanks for the information about the bug report. It seems pretty
certain that my problem is related. (I tried to add to the bug report
and created a Bugzilla account but the interface defeated me, and my
comment didn’t get through.)

Tom wrote:

I sometimes use a plain-text editor to paste things into before moving
them on into another app.  It either strips weird coding or displays
it so i can see the weirdness and delete bits.

I always use “paste special” (in fact I have a keyboard shortcut for
“paste unformatted text”), but you’re right: it’s probably better to
save as .txt first. I sometimes do that; I may have to do it
consistently in the future.

Thanks to Jay, Steve, NoOp and Tom for the help.

Now back to work (I hope)!

Séamas
------