Hi :)
I have not done it either but i have seen comments here from people that have used MariaDb and/or
MySql.

It would be great to get some MariaDb people in here to write-up how to use MariaDb.  They might
need some help with using Base as a front-end although a lot of them are very experienced with
database apps and might only need a gentle nudge or 2.  If a few worked on stream-lining the Base
code to work more smoothly with their back-end then maybe Base could work with databases on hefty
websites.  There is huge potential here.

Regards from
Tom :)