Thesaurus is grayed out where?  In LO? or the external one?
Artha is a good external Thesaurus and Dictionary that I am running on Ubuntu 10.04.

Install this dictionary/hyphen/thesaurus .oxt file.

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-on-dictionaries-large-list/English_dict__with_fixed_dash_handling____2010-03-15.oxt

Also try this Language Tool.  Actually it is not the newest one.
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-ons-extensions/LanguageTool-1.2.oxt
This tool helps with dictionary and thesaurus functions, but you need to have Java installed to use it.

If you have installed both .oxt files and you still have the Thesaurus option grayed out, then there is something wrong with the LO install, or somehow 11.xx has some problems with their internal dictionary system; or so I have been told that LO might use the MySpell/Hunspell, or other internal dictionary system. I have hunspell for en-US, but myspell for -en-gb, en-au, -en-za, and a few others. I also have the "libreoffice3-dict-en", libreoffice3.4-dict-en" packages installed. It seems I have a lot of packages names with both 3.3 and 3.4 version. I wonder if you installed the "openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us" package [if it is shown in the Synaptic Package Manager for 11.xx] would help at all?

To be honest, there have been some weird issues with the dictionary/thesaurus running LO 3.4.x on Ubuntu 11.xx and the default Unity desktop manager.