Am 29.10.2011 um 01:59 schrieb webmaster for Kracked Press Productions:

Sorry, I just say the Device option tap showing PDF as the default.  I do not know what "PDF"
means in this context, since my printers may have that as a printer language type, as far as I
remember.  My HP Inkjet is not a postscript printer, but my Color Laser might be able to deal
with that.  I did not see Postscript as an option for the Epson inkjet.  I sure did not read it
having a PDF language option.  So something is not right.  Could PDF here mean "Printer Defined
Format" for the language used?

... but in context with PS - I don't think that printer defined format is being used. In Linux
printing works like this (I think) cups (common unix printing system) gets the data, converts them
to PS, sends them to the rip and then to the Printer Driver (more on
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#cups1).

Can the Postscript type "level from driver" be kept as the "default" option somehow?  Maybe the
"Printer Administration" shown was a module of LO 3.4 [at least with Ubuntu]?  I believe that
module of LO was designed to set up the printers to run properly with LO.

I've searched around and found nothing. The only thing I found is to set a new Standard document
where the printer Language is set to PS. But that effects only new document - not the old.

--------------

CUPS-PDF - no package for OpenSUSE?   I wondered what OpenSUSE uses as a replacement package, so
I looked it up on the site.

On the opensuse.org site, 12.1 is in RC till November 16th.  I searched the packages and there
are 3 rpm package files [depending on the computer] for cups-pdf-2.5.1-1.1

If I read the site correctly, 12.1 is the "opensuse/factory" development version since it still
is in development till November 16th.  So the search for the cups pdf package in that and the
other version come up with a .rpm file to download and install it.  So it should be in the
OpenSUSE version of a repository.

http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=cups+pdf&baseproject=openSUSE%3AFactory&lang=en&exclude_debug=true
<http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=cups+pdf&baseproject=openSUSE%3AFactory&lang=en&exclude_debug=true>
I wonder why it was not part of the ISO that you downloaded to install OpenSUSE?

No it isn't. But as far as I know package cups-pdf does only give me a pdf-printer.

Actually I had trouble with OpenSUSE, the one time I tried using it.  I have an IBM server that
originally had SUSE installed on it, so the icon tag showed.  But I bought it with the OS, and
everything else, wiped off the 3 SCSI drives that 2002 era P-4 IBM server had.  So I downloaded
OpenSUSE [3 or 4 years ago] and tried to install it, but it would not install.  So I ended using
an old copy of Win2000/pro till I ended up putting Ubuntu on it 2 years ago.  So I never had any
luck with OpenSUSE.  If they do not include, in their ISOs, something as simple as the PDF
package that is part of the CUPS printer environment, I do not know what to think.  My Epson
printer uses a driver that uses CUPS as its backend so I can print using Linux computers.

Printing from all other programs, for example from the preview, works fine. I could create a pdf
document from LibreOffice and print it - two pages on a sheet - with preview!

Do not get me wrong, OpenSUSE might be a great Linux OS, since businesses are what it tends to be
what it is marketed towards, but I just had one bad experience and did not look back.  I use
Ubuntu, and other people tell me to try "such-n-such" Linux distro since they think it is the
best you can get.  We have one person on this board that is involved in developing the  Mandriva,
which was Mandrake.  I was taught Linux using Mandrake 7.x, back 10 to 11 years ago [if I
remember correctly, and I still have a CD of it].  That one is in the top 10 of the list of
distros I came across on a distro watch site.  OpenSUSE is on that list as well.  Arch Linux is
considered an advanced user distro while OpenSUSE is a "middle-of-the-road" one. Their terms, not
mine.  But we each have our favorite ones.  I have mine and you have yours.  That it what it
should be.

Offtopic - anyway: I'm often trying different distros (just for fun and) to see how they develop.
Every distro has it's own pros and cons. (I haven't found a perfect distro for me). I'm going to
check ubuntu again (last time was a year ago). But ubuntu is somehow proprietary which I dislike.
And since I set up some computers for friends I'm always looking for a distro with actual software
and long and good support - which is opensuse (do you know another?)