So if I'm understanding you're trying to say start out with cells..
input a formula like this
http://minus.com/lgIwyrkPUPHj7
which gives a solution like this
http://minus.com/l50sfqIxwhBlz

and then now change the contents of cell D5 from {=B5+C5} to {80}

so that you can delete the contents of B5 an C5 yet keep the 80

--
I love gmail. Do you?
The Wolfkin