Piers Anthony [Scifi/Fantasy writer] has been using OOo/LO to write his book for years. He is a Linux user as well. He maintains a list of publishing company for people who want to have their books published. He also has some of his books printed with "print on demand" service companies. Here is the link to his list.
http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html

To be honest, as far as I have heard and read, each publishing company tend to have their own preferred format for the books you send to them. Books with photos and images may be different from text only ones. For print-on-demand companies, Lulu.com has templates for their book size formats. Each book size they produce has a different page format. Once you have your book formatted for that page size [US Trade Paperback is 6" by 9"], then you save it in PDF format so it is exactly the way it should look. From that PDF book, the companies will produce your book.

As for creating a PDF file, LO's Export to PDF works great, if you do not have specialty fonts, say handwriting or one that looks like it is made out of bones. If you have some of these specialty fonts, I recommend that you use doPDF for Windows and CUPS-PDF for Linux [I use XP, Vista, and Ubuntu]. They will produce the documents with the fonts embedded [make sure that option is used for doPDF] within the PDF document so the reader's system will not try to substitute not-installed fonts with ones installed on their systems. I am told that LO's Export to PDF tends to do this with fonts that are not in its "core" font list.

Here is Lulu's list of book sizes and their templates for the pages and the covers for these sizes.
http://www.lulu.com/publish/books/?cid=us_home_nav_bk

As for backing up your documents, I worked at a place that did the following: Daily backs go to a different room in on the other side of the building. Weekly backups went to a building owned by the company. Monthly backups went to a location off-site in a building/facility that was used by several companies to store their backups in a safe "fire-proof" environment. For you, having CD/DVD storage along with USB Flash drives [thumb-drive, jump-drive, etc.] it a good way to do it. I would save it on your media of choice and place it in a "fire-proof" lock box in a different room than you use for your computer. Also, I would make sure you save copies on CD/DVD of all your work and lock them away in a box stored at a different location, on the off chance of a fire at your place. To be honest, you should burn a CD or DVD of all your books and seal them in an envelope and have your lawyer sign and date it, plus keep it in their files for proof you created it by that date and it is your work. This helps with legal issues if you do not copyright the books right away. I am told that the Library of Congress does some book copyrighting, but you will need to verify that.

I saw the listed info about 40 books. Could you tell us what type of books your are producing? It would be nice to have it recorded that an author is using LO to create "such and such" books. Piers Anthony, the author, was the one that got me looking at OOo in its early days, since he started with Star Office, then went to OOo. He need a package [and OS] that could use his type of keyboard and create macros that would help make his work easier. He went to Linux for the OS that works easily with his non-QWERTY keyboard, and OOo for the macro support. I have not kept up with his author's notes and online newsletter, so I do not know if he has switched over to LO, when OOo stopped putting out updates. As I said, it would be nice to have a list of authors and document/book types created using LO. It is a good marketing tool. These authors and businesses use LO to do their work, you can too . . .

I hope this helps you in some way. I had to do the research about print-on-demand services for a local historical society's history books publications.
.