I have LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7, but this problem existed with earlier
versions. It's probably operator error.

I have a one-word heading, near the bottom of page 13, followed by a short
introductory paragraph that spills over to two lines at the top of page 14.
The next item is a table, two columns, large-ish cells, that spreads over
several pages.

PROBLEM:  The table insists on starting at the top of page 15. The first row
is slightly more than half a page in height. This means there is plenty of
room for the first row of the table to fit on page 14, with spare space
below. Why won't it?

Page 14 currently has ten words at the top, and then a vast expanse of naked
white space.

How do I communicate to the table that I want it to start on page 14 and not
wait until page 15?

Yes, I've had this problem in the past, and I forget how I got around it. It
wasn't a direct, reproducible solution, as I vaguely recollect.

Any table masters here?

Thanks,

 </kevin>