Concerning the OT about binary representations (namely, OLE embedding) in the
flat XML:

There is no prohibition in ODF to storing the OLE-embedding in-line using
<office:binary-data> to carry the embedded OLE in a base64Binary
representation as text. In the ODF 1.2 specification, this opportunity is
explicitly called out.

The storage inflation is a tolerable 0.33 x the binary size in bytes, although
it also takes longer to parse through the stream (something the Zip avoids by
having the OLE in a separate binary Zip part and by using compression wherever
possible).

It is simply a matter of implementing it.  It would be interesting to make
some test documents that exercise that provision and see what happens.

 - Dennis

PS: There is one challenge.  There is currently no way to carry a MIME type
with the <draw:object-ole> or its <office:binary-data> child, so it may be
tricky to know whose serialization of the OLE embedding is being used.  It
appears that Sun/OOo have their own, and Microsoft uses a different one.  It
may require that recognition of the embedding format be distinguishable by
sniffing the binary data.