OK, here's me, replying to myself.

Further little problem.  Not yet solved.

Because the program does not appear in the programs list, it is not an
option
when trying to open a .odt file (or any kind of file) from the file system.

That is, I cannot simply right-click a .odt file or a .docx file and click
"Open with..." .
The resulting list does not include LibO, so I can't select it.

Is there a quick-and-dirty way to add it without tinkering with the
Registry?

Meanwhile, I open LibO and use the program's file browser to select the
files to open.  Not entirely convenient.

Again, this is Windows 7 Professional.

Also, within the LibO interface, how do I set Writer as the Windows default
program to open .odt files?

Thanks.