Just for the sake of trying it to see if this helps;
Have you installed the Language Tool or Linguist extensions? I use these as my defaults.
[http://libreoffice-na.us/English/extensions.html]

I have these installed on an old Compaq Win XP system that I just installed 3.4.3 on it. [It did not have LO on it before.] My test show that when I clicked on the "spell check" icon, it opened the spell checking system and worked fine for me.

This is the text listed with the extension on the link above.
[quote]
This award-winning extension is a valuable addition to spell checking in multiple languages. Java must be installed on the computer. For more information, visit the English homepage www.languagetool.org.
[unquote]

So if the spell checking does not work. Try this. Also, save the folder that includes the info on your profile for LO [somewhere else] and then delete it. Then open LO again. That does some resetting. If the spell checker works then, that would mean your has a bad profile file[s]. I know where it is for Ubuntu, but I could not find it in Windows without a lot of time in the search. Also, XP, Vista, and Win7 seem to have profiles in different places sometimes. Some Windows user may have the exact file/folder name and where it is located.