Hi

        I suggest you to do this (I did and it was good with your "sample.xls"
file)(But I did with OpenOffice 3.2 but I supposed it will be good too
with LO):

1) Open file with LO.
2) Save file in format microsoft excel 5.0 (xls) with Save As Menu

I did and the file was opened fast and well. Then I used that file to
save as .ods and all was well too.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez