Hi :)
I don't know the answers to this so i would say just post a bug-report but hopefully someone that
understands styles&templates better than me (almost everyone) might have a good answer.

The official documentation is at
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
and also at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
and a guide on how to post a bug-report is
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
but you seem to already know all that.  Note that if you post a bug-report and then later find it
was something you were doing wrong then it's quite easy to close the bug-report.

Anyway, hopefully someone will give a good answer soon
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)